Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"I Cannot Remember Much"...

"I cannot remember much, I cannot feel much. Maybe erasure is necessary. Maybe the human spirit defends itself as the body does, attacking infection, enveloping and destroying those malignancies that would otherwise consume us.”  -Tim O'Brien, "In The Lake of the Woods"

Most people know Tim O'Brien for his books about Vietnam. His most popular title is, "The Things They Carried", which is often required reading in high school. "In the Lake of the Woods", was an award-winner book when first released in 1994, but is now frequently overlooked and not commonly found on bookstore shelves. 

After discovering it, I ordered it in bulk to the bookstore where I work. I began hand-selling and recommending it to everyone. I needed other people to experience the book and discuss it with me. 

This novel is intense. Quick paced. Mystifying and horrific. 

The book takes place in 1986. Following the loss of a political election, John and Kathy Wade retreat to a cabin at Lake of the Woods to reflect on the past, dream of the future, and redefine their marriage. Soon after arriving, long-time secrets resurface and tensions build. Then Kathy disappears. 

The novel goes back and forth between evidence and hypothesis, as an unnamed narrator tries to piece together a terrifying mystery. 

Ultimately the book questions obsession, love, and memory. 

I can't tell you anymore. I refuse to ruin it for you. So quick--- Read it!  Let's talk about it. 










4 comments:

  1. Okay, you've convinced me. I'll give it a shot. I just sent a sample from Amazon to my Kindle and if I like what I read, I'll pick it up. I'll also try and remember to come back and let you know what I think of the sample.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett-- I hope you'll like it! I am excited that your'e going to check out the sample. Hope we can discuss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks pretty dang good. I will put it on my Christmas break reading list. I can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm sold! I can't wait to read this book. Probably my very favorite part of this blog post is that you felt so compelled to have others share in your experience with it. I too find myself doing this. I just need others to feel the way I feel about something I have seen or read. Very rarely does it happen though... most of my friends aren't in to the same literature that I am.

    ReplyDelete